Facebook
..deep in the Wiltshire countryside

Womens Institute

wilogoDilton Marsh WI was formed in 1973.    We meet on the second Thursday of the month in the Memorial Hall at 7.30pm.    A meeting consists of a speaker, refreshments and a short business meeting.   Members have the opportunity to attend events organised by the Wiltshire Federation, group meetings with local WIs held twice a year and to visit the WIs Denman College in Oxfordshire.   We play our part in village life and in the past have planted a tree at Lyes Grove, donated a seat on the playing field and planted daffodils around the village.    Our ploughmans lunches in the hall on Village Day are popular and we co-organise the Flower & Handicraft Show in August.   We are a friendly group and welcome visitors and new members.

 

The WI was founded in Canada in 1897 by the lady called Adelaide Hoodless.   She believed that her young child’s death was caused by contaminated milk and felt women should learn about home economics.   As the men had the Farmers Institute, she called her group Womens Institute.    We now consider “Institute” an old fashioned word and tend to use the initials WI.    The WI came to the UK and the first one was opened in 1915 in Llanfair PG in Anglesey.    Nationally there are about 200,000 members and we celebrated our centenary last year with many exciting events.      For more information on the WI generally or Dilton Marsh in particular please contact Priscilla Gray on 01373 864661.